Global Interaction of Europe and the World
- Why have Europeans sought contact and interaction with other parts of the world?
- What political, technological, and intellectual developments enabled European contact with other parts of the world?
- How have cross-cultural encounters shaped Europe in its culture, politics, and society?
- How have Europeans impacted non-European societies?
British WWI officer
T.E. Lawrence "of Arabia"
The Mikado is an 1885 British
comic opera set in Japan.
Japanese Meiji Emperor
by Takahashi Yuichi, 1880.
London East End slum, 1950s
Marie Antoinette, Queen of France, 1780s
- What role have traditional sources of authority played in the transmission of knowledge?
- How have European governments moved closer to and farther from democracy?
- How have non-governmental institutions impacted European states?
- How did changes in warfare affect the balance of power?
National and European Identity
- Who is and who is not part of a national community?
- To what degree should nations be incorporated into the larger European community?
Scientific and Technological Developments
- How have new technologies impacted society and changed daily life?
- How have scientific discoveries altered our view of the natural world?