Global Interaction of Europe and the World
- Why have Europeans sought contact and interaction with other parts of the world?
- What political, technological, and intellectual developments enabled European contact with other parts of the world?
- How have cross-cultural encounters shaped Europe in its culture, politics, and society?
- How have Europeans impacted non-European societies?
British WWI officer
T.E. Lawrence "of Arabia"
The Mikado is an 1885 British
comic opera set in Japan.
Japanese Meiji Emperor
by Takahashi Yuichi, 1880.
- What role have traditional sources of authority played in the transmission of knowledge?
- How have European governments moved closer to and farther from democracy?
- How have non-governmental institutions impacted European states?
- How did changes in warfare affect the balance of power?
The Maxim machine gun (1883) enabled imperial conquests.
National and European Identity
- Who is and who is not part of a national community?
- To what degree should nations be incorporated into the larger European community?
Scientific and Technological Developments
- How have new technologies impacted society and changed daily life?
- How have scientific discoveries altered our view of the natural world?